Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from July, 2018

Mandelbug - bug, who didn't want to be found

Returning from holiday recently, I was expecting a calm day of catching up and doing some basic tasks. The opposite was true, this day I was introduced to a situation which puzzled us for two weeks.

Situation We have been reported that Android sometimes get the wrong reply to a particular GET requests. Ok, let us investigate, I got this, will be quick...

Reproducibility The bug is up till now non-deterministic to us. We were firstly not able to find the determining factor, it just occasionally occurred, persisted for some minutes (maybe up to half an hour) and then disappeared without a trace. This made the investigation and also any communication much harder. This happened for both iOS and Android apps.
We got ourselves here a Mandelbug:
A bug whose underlying causes are so complex and obscure as to make its behavior appear chaotic or even non-deterministic
First hypothesis We have decided to focus only on the android part. A debugging proxy was attached shortly for catching all tr…