Skip to main content

Session Based Testing - brown bag

Hi there,

I have just finished a brown bag about Session Based testing, my sources are mainly the work of John and James Bach.

Here is my prezi 

My charter:

CHARTER
-----------------------------------------------
Retest all tasks and areas around them in ILIAS-EV 6.1.0
#AREAS

Build | ILIAS-EV 6.1.0
Strategy | Retesting & Exploration
START
-----------------------------------------------
16/7/14 09:56
TESTER
-----------------------------------------------
my name
TASK BREAKDOWN
-----------------------------------------------
#DURATION
short - 56 minutes
#SESSION SETUP
0 - was prepared already thanks to the automation run
#CHARTER VS. OPPORTUNITY
-
DATA FILES
-----------------------------------------------
-
TEST NOTES
-----------------------------------------------
#Task2120:
Report creation and deletion is now stored in Audit Trail
Tested for reports from "Report Display" & "Export Display"
Tested Audit Trail filtering with really wide date spread (~30 years)
Exports from "Plausibility" tab does not create an entry in Audit Trail
#Task3088:
Reading documentation - its only on RM 2014 -> not possible to prepare data in this session
Retested only that it does not affect year 2011
#Task3089:
Its only on RM 2014 -> not possible to prepare data in this session
Retested only that it does not affect year 2011
Tried to create a RM for 2014 - found BUG3155
Checking if it also exists in ILIAS-CM - no
#Task 3140:
Description not clear enough to test sufficiently


BUGS
-----------------------------------------------
#BUG3164
Exception in RM Creation - Guideline Button

ISSUES
-----------------------------------------------
#ISSUE
Report creation creates several identical entries in the Audit trail
-->

Additional links:

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment

Popular posts from this blog

When to start automation?

If you are asking this as a tester, you probably asking too late.

Automation is something that can save you some portion of your work (understand resources for your client) and i rarely found cases of testing work that did not need at least some portion of automation.

I know that it is rarely understood that automation is something to be developed & maintained and if you cover enough of the application, you do not need any more regression - well i do not think that somebody has done an automation regression suite that if fully reliable (i am not speaking about maintaining this code - which is another topic). There can be always a bug (or quality issue) that slips through, even when you scripts go through the afflicted part.

I understand that many testers have no development background or skills, but i doubt the developers that could help you are far away. I am not assuming that they can do the scripts for you....
However if they understand what you need, they can say how easy is …

Thrown into automation

Situation & Problem I was thrown into an automation test project.

Concretely test automation of 3 different applications (different in purpose, look, structure, behavior) which regression testing was covered only by a automation test suite that was written in AutoIt and the size of the code was quite complex and huge for a new person in the automation.
Well, that was not the problem, it is a description of the situation.

The problems weren't initially visible. I was never automating before, so I needed to learn quite a bit of the code & got to know all the applications that were part of the project.

The problems were not so appealing at the start, but I would formulate then as: Maintenance of the scripts took too longBy new versions of the application, it took some time to adjust the scripts to the changesThis caused delay in information flow from testers to managers & developersThe changes in the application were not clearly communicated to testersTesting was purely t…

Mandelbug - bug, who didn't want to be found

Returning from holiday recently, I was expecting a calm day of catching up and doing some basic tasks. The opposite was true, this day I was introduced to a situation which puzzled us for two weeks.

Situation We have been reported that Android sometimes get the wrong reply to a particular GET requests. Ok, let us investigate, I got this, will be quick...

Reproducibility The bug is up till now non-deterministic to us. We were firstly not able to find the determining factor, it just occasionally occurred, persisted for some minutes (maybe up to half an hour) and then disappeared without a trace. This made the investigation and also any communication much harder. This happened for both iOS and Android apps.
We got ourselves here a Mandelbug:
A bug whose underlying causes are so complex and obscure as to make its behavior appear chaotic or even non-deterministic
First hypothesis We have decided to focus only on the android part. A debugging proxy was attached shortly for catching all tr…